Students in the leadership minor will develop fundamental skills, capacities, and knowledge necessary to assume leadership, supervisory, or management positions in public, private, and non-profit organizations. Because the minor is interdisciplinary, it draws on the expertise of faculty and staff in colleges across the campus including Agricultural and Life Sciences, Business Administration, Health and Human Performance, Journalism and Communications, Psychology, and Liberal Arts and Sciences.
The leadership minor is the only selective university-wide minor at the University of Florida. In order to be considered, students must meet the requirements below and fill out an application.
In order to be considered for the leadership minor, students must fill out an application before they complete 90 credit hours* in their respective program of study. Additionally, students must have a cumulative grade point average of 3.0 to be admitted. The minor is open to all University of Florida students.
The minor will only be conferred for a student if they meet the following criteria after acceptance in the minor:
- Overall GPA of 3.0 in all courses taken in the minor
- Earn a B or higher in AEC 3414: Leadership Development
- Complete 15 hours of coursework in approved leadership minor courses
Applications for Fall 2022 should be submitted by 11:59PM on Friday, March 3, 2023, via the online application portal.
Before completing the application, please be sure to have your UFID, number of coursework hours completed and GPA available. The application consists of basic information such as that previously listed, as well as the following three essays. Each essay should be no more than 250 words.
- Describe your previous leadership experience. Expand on opportunities you have had and positions you held. Include all relevant experiences (high school clubs, teams, collegiate organizations, work experiences or internships).
- Describe your current leadership experiences. Expand on your current involvement with leadership (formally or informally). Discuss leadership positions you currently hold and include all relevant experiences (collegiate organizations, volunteer work, internships or work experiences).
- Envision your future. What potential do you have to create influence through leadership? How do you see a minor in leadership contributing to your personal development?
Additional information prompt:
- If you are aware of any extenuating circumstances which make you ineligible, please elaborate on this issue. This could be in reference to GPA requirements, total hours earned, etc.
Students will be evaluated and selected based on the following criteria:
- Minimum application requirements met (cumulative GPA of 3.0 and less than 90 credit hours* earned)
- Overall quality of personal essays
- Overall quality of the application in comparison to their peers' applications
*90 credit hours is a parameter that prevents students from delaying graduation in an effort to earn the minor. However, if completion of the minor will not delay your graduation, this requirement can be waived. If this scenario applies to you, please note it in your application.