Dr. Grady Roberts
Dr. Grady Roberts is a professor of agricultural education, and has been with the Department of Agricultural Education and Communication (AEC) since 2008. He grew up in a military family and has lived all over the world, but considers Florida home. Roberts is a three-time alumnus of the University of Florida (UF), receiving his bachelor’s, master’s and doctorate in agricultural education.
Prior to coming to UF, Roberts earned professional experience for four years as an assistant professor at Texas A&M University, three years as a graduate teaching assistant at UF, and ten years as an agricultural science teacher in Hillsborough County, Florida.
Roberts focuses his research on a few topics that include global education, experiential learning, and teaching and learning in university settings.
In addition to his research and teaching appointments, Roberts helps direct the Global Education Lab, a collaborative effort among faculty members at various universities across the nation, focused on advancing the scholarship related to globally integrated educational programs in food, agriculture, natural resources and related sciences. He also helps coordinate the UF College of Agricultural and Life Sciences Teaching Resource Center.
Conner, N. W., Roberts, T. G., & Sterns, J. (2016). An exploration of the cultural adaptation process during an international experience in France. Journal of International Agricultural and Extension Education, 23(3), 58-71. doi: 10.5191/jiaee.2016.23304
Roberts, T. G., Rodriguez, M. T., Gouldthorpe, J. L., Stedman, N. L. P. Harder, A., & Hartmann, M. (2016). Exploring outcomes two years after an international faculty abroad experience. Journal of Agricultural Education, 57(1), 30-41. doi: 10.5032/jae.2016.01030
Heinert, S. B., & Roberts, T. G. (2016). Globalizing the undergraduate experience in agricultural leadership, education, extension, and communication. Journal of Agricultural Education, 57(1), 42-55. doi: 10.5032/jae.2016.01042
Conner, N. W., & Roberts, T. G. (2015). The cultural adaptation process during a short-term study abroad experience in Swaziland. Journal of Agricultural Education, 56(1), 155-171. doi: 10.5032/jae.2015.01155
Heinert, S., & Roberts, T. G. (2016). Factors motivating students to respond to online course evaluations in the College of Agricultural and Life Sciences at the University of Florida. NACTA Journal, 60(2), 189-194.
Awards and Honors
E.B. Knight Journal Award. Presented by the NACTA Journal, 2016.
Online Excellence Award - Graduate Courses. Presented by the University of Florida, 2016.
Fellow, American Association for Agricultural Education, 2015.
Jack Everly Journal Award. Presented by the NACTA Journal, 2015.
Outstanding Agricultural Educator, Southern Region. Presented by the American Association for Agricultural Education, 2015.
Fellow, Association for International Agricultural and Extension Education, 2014.
E.B. Knight Journal Award. Presented by the NACTA Journal, 2014
Article of the Year (Runner Up). Presented by the Journal of International Agricultural and Extension Education, 2014.
E. B. Knight Journal Award. Presented by the NACTA Journal, 2013.
High Impact Research Award. Presented by the UF/IFAS Agricultural Experiment Station, 2012.
Outstanding Achievement Award. Presented by the Association for International Agricultural and Extension Education, 2012.
Distinguished Researcher Award. Presented by the American Association for Agricultural Education Southern Regions, 2012.
Excellence in College and University Teaching in the Food and Agricultural Sciences Award - New Teacher Category. Presented by the United States Department of Agriculture, 2010.
- Co-PI. (2015-2020). Support for Agricultural Research and Development Program in Haiti (USAID). PI, Rosalie Koenig. ($13,730,000).
- (2014-2015). Using Case Study Reusable Learning Objects (RLOs) to Facilitate Critical Thinking in Food, Agriculture, and Natural Resources (APLU). ($2,000).
- Co-PI. (2015-2018). Teaching Locally, Engaging Globally: Creating a Community of Global Thinking Fellows. $642,776). PI, Nicole Stedman. Co-PIs, T. Grady Roberts, Amy Harder, Lisa Lundy, James Lindner, Robert Strong, Kim E. Dooley, Cristopher Stripling.
- Co-PI. (2014-2016). Innovation for Agricultural Technical Education (USAID). ($124,550 subaward to Roberts). PI, Sandra Russo. Co-PI, Nikki Kernaghan.
- Co–PI. (2012–2014). Women’s leadership program in Paraguay. ($811,123). PI, Marta Hartmann. Co-PIs, T. Grady Roberts, Amy Harder, Sebastian Galindo, Hannah Carter, Ricky Telg, Suzanna Smith, Elena Bastidas.
- Co–PI. (2011–2013). Teaching locally, engaging globally: Increasing undergraduates’ knowledge of the international dimensions of climate change, food security, and childhood obesity. ($700,855). PI, Amy Harder. Co–PIs, T. Grady Roberts, Nicole L. P. Stedman, Katie Sieving, James R. Lindner, Kim E. Dooley, Robert, Strong, Jackie Bruce, Elizabeth Wilson, Wendy Warner.
- PI. (2009–2012). Teaching locally, engaging globally: Enhancing the undergraduate curriculum. ($459,770). Co–PIs, Nicole L. P. Stedman, Amy Harder, Maria Navarro, John C. Ricketts, Dennis W. Duncan, Kim E. Dooley, James R. Lindner.