Dr. Nicole Stedman
Professor and Undergraduate Coordinator of Agricultural Education and Communication, Director of AEC e-Learning
Nicole Stedman is a Professor of Agricultural Leadership. Stedman received her BS in Family Youth Community Sciences (UF) in 1998, followed by her Masters in Agricultural Education and Communications (UF) in 2001. During this time she worked with the Office of the State Attorney Project Payback as a Program Specialist developing Leadership Curriculum for youth at risk.
Stedman completed her PhD in Agricultural Education and Communications (UF) in 2004. She then worked at Texas A&M University for three years teaching undergraduate and graduate leadership courses before returning to the University of Florida in July of 2007.
Her current research interests include the development of pedagogical strategies which enhance the development of critical thinking in learners. Her primary focus is leadership development at the undergraduate and graduate levels.
- Stedman, N.L.P., Roberts, T.G., Harder, A., Myers, B.E., and Thoron, A. (in press). The relationship between experience and self-perceptions of knowledge and relevance of teaching competencies of faculty in a college of agricultural and life sciences. Journal of Agricultural Education. 19 pages.
- Harder, A., Roberts, T. G., Stedman, N. L. P., Thoron, A*., and Myers, B. E. (2009). An analysis of the teaching needs of agricultural and life sciences faculty. North American Colleges and Teachers of Agriculture (NACTA) Journal 53(4) 20 pages. Retrieved from http://nacta.fp.expressacademic.org/article.php?id=1765.
- Stedman, N. L. P., Friedel, C., Rhoades, E., Ricketts, J. C., and Irani, T. A. (2009). Relationships between Critical Thinking Disposition and Need for Cognition among Undergraduate Students Enrolled in Leadership Courses. North American Colleges and Teachers of Agriculture (NACTA) Journal 53(3), 20 pages. Retrieved from http://nacta.fp.expressacademic.org/article.php?id=1747.
- Stedman, N. (2009). Casting the net of critical thinking: A glimpse into the collegiate leadership classroom. Journal of Leadership Education, 7(3), 201-218. Retrieved from http://www.fhsu.edu/jole/issues/JOLE_7_3.pdf
- Stedman, N. L. P., Rutherford, T. A., Rosser, M. H., and Elbert, C. (2009). When leadership counts: Impact of the Washington leadership conference. Journal of Agricultural Education, 50(1), 92-104.
- Rosser, M. H., Stedman, N. L. P., Elbert, C., & Rutherford, T. (2009). Making a difference: Two case studies describing the impact of a capstone leadership education experience. Journal of Leadership, 7(3), 83-99. Retrieved from http://www.fhsu.edu/jole/issues/JOLE_7_3.pdf
- Stedman, N. L. P. (2008). Unleashing leadership through artwork. Journal of Leadership Education, 7(2), 14-23. Retrieved from http://www.fhsu.edu/jole/issues/JOLE%207-2%20Special%20Issue.pdf
Awards & Honors
- 2009-2010 Undergraduate Teacher of the Year, College of Agricultural and Life sciences, University of Florida
- 2009 Rising Star Award, Association of Leadership Educators
- Honorable Mention, North American Colleges and Teachers of Agriculture Outstanding Journal Article
- 2007 ING Financial Professor of Excellence, Texas A&M University