Couldn’t find what you were looking for? Here is a list of questions prospective and new undergraduate students often ask us. If you can’t find the answer here, contact us.

  • What can I do with a degree in Agricultural Education and Communication?

    • Graduates in AEC take positions as professional agricultural communicators in agribusiness, middle school and high school agriculture teachers, county extension agents, educational specialists in agribusiness or public agencies, Peace Corps, and a wide variety of other positions.

  • What job opportunities are there with an AEC degree?

    • Job opportunities are excellent in all areas. The demand for communicators/leaders, teachers and extension agents continues to far outpace the supply of newly prepared college graduates.

  • How do the degree options within the AEC major vary?

    • Students in the Agricultural Education option are completing the course work required by the Florida Department of Education for certification as an agriculture teacher in the public schools. Courses focus on teaching/learning processes and planning and delivering instruction. Although students who complete this program are eligible for teacher certification, they are also well prepared for other positions where strong “people skills” are needed. 

      Communication and Leadership Development prepares students for entry into agribusiness and communication positions related to human resource development, corporate training and development, political interests, and agricultural literacy. Coursework focuses on a core of leadership and communication courses. Many Communication and Leadership Development students also will be eligible for the university-wide minor in Leadership.

  • What types of courses will I take as an AEC student?

    • All AEC students complete courses in three areas: general education, professional focus, and agriculture and natural resources. The professional focus includes courses in agricultural education, extension education, and communication and leadership development. Agriculture courses required in the AEC major are designed to provide a broad examination of the agricultural industry. At the same time, students are encouraged to develop a specialty in one or more areas.

  • Is an internship required? How long? When? Where?

    • An internship is required for the Agricultural Education specialization. Students in this track must complete a 12-week internship during their last spring semester at a Florida public school that offers an agricultural program. Students in the Communication and Leadership Development specialization are not required but encouraged to complete an internship, preferably during their senior year. Some internships are paid, depending upon the cooperating agency and the student’s program option.

  • Will I be assigned an adviser? When?

    • Yes, all AEC students are assigned an academic adviser upon admission to the undergraduate program. Students will be notified of their advisor via e-mail. All advisers are regular faculty members.

  • How can I change my major to Communication and Leadership Development?

  • Are there special activities and events for students in the Department?

    • The Agricultural Communicators and Leaders of Tomorrow (ACLT) and the Collegiate FFA (CFFA) are very active organizations for AEC undergraduate students. These organizations focus on professional, social, and recreational goals and offer many opportunities for students to get involved and gain valuable experience. ACLT and CFFA provide an excellent bridge for students to professionals working throughout the agricultural industry. In addition, the University offers an abundance of academic, recreational, and student life programs.

  • How many students will be in my classes?

    • Enrollments in AEC courses typically range from 15 to 40 students. Most courses in the College of Agricultural and Life Sciences (CALS) are somewhat larger with 30 to 50 students enrolled. Some general education courses will have larger enrollments.

  • Can I pursue a dual major? If so, how many extra hours will it take?

    • AEC students can pursue a dual major with any other major in CALS. Dual majors typically add an extra year to the standard four-year time period required for earning the bachelor’s degree.

  • What minors are offered in AEC? How do I enroll in a minor?

    • The Department currently offers minors in Extension EducationAg Communication, and Leadership. Each minor requires 15 hours of course work and can include an internship. The department is a major contributor to the university-wide minor in Leadership. CALS has several minors that would complement a degree in AEC. Students wishing to enroll in a minor should contact their adviser and /or the AEC undergraduate coordinator. As an AEC major, you cannot minor in an AEC specialization (Extension or Ag Communication). The minor in Leadership is an interdisciplinary minor and can be pursued by AEC students.

  • What will my transcript and diploma show about my major?

    • Students in AEC earn a B.S. in Agricultural Education and Communication, which is printed on their diploma. Their transcripts show their academic major, specialization, and minor, if applicable.

  • Are scholarships available? When do I apply?

    • The AEC Department awards approximately $15,000 in scholarships each year. Applications are available online and must be submitted by the posted deadline (usually late September or early October). Awards are based upon merit and program option. In addition, CALS awards over $400,000 in merit-based scholarships each year, and a significant number of AEC students receive college scholarships awards. The university also provides numerous scholarship and financial aid programs for students.

  • How do I apply for admission?

    • High school students should ask their guidance counselor to send an electronic transcript to UF. Applicants can then complete the on-line application form (http://www.admissions.ufl.edu/). A nonrefundable application fee is required. SAT/ACT scores should be sent directly to UF from the testing agency.

  • What are the criteria for admission?

    • Admission is competitive and is based upon academic record, test scores, and other factors. Students can enroll in May (Summer A and C), June (Summer B), August (Fall), or January (Spring). Transfer applicants must have earned at least 60 semester credit hours, have received the Associate of Arts degree, and met both the GPA and pre-requisite course requirements.

  • What are the requirements for transfer students?

  • When is the deadline for applying for freshmen and transfer admission?

    • Applications should be submitted six to nine months before the preferred enrollment date. Application deadlines can be found at http://www.admissions.ufl.edu/.

  • Is a foreign language required? If so, how many years?

    • Yes, two sequential years of the same foreign language taken in high school or eight to ten sequential semester credit hours taken at the postsecondary level are required for admission to any program at the University of Florida.

  • How long will it take me to complete my bachelor’s degree?

    • Four years (eight semesters and a summer term, 120 credit hours) are needed to complete all B.S. degree requirements. Some students require additional semesters to complete their degree, depending upon the nature of their program.

  • What housing is available? How much does it cost?

    • Students can choose to live on or off-campus. More than 75% of incoming freshmen live in one of the residence halls. Residence hall assignments are made on a space-available basis. Freshmen who apply early and submit their housing request in a timely manner will receive priority consideration. Please visit http://www.housing.ufl.edu for more information.


Contact Us

To find out more about our undergraduate program, please contact us below.