AEC e-Learning FAQs

Couldn’t find what you were looking for? Here is a list of questions prospective and new e-Learning students often ask us. If you can’t find the answer here, contact us.

  • Who is this program for?

    • Our program was first developed for professionals working in extension and agriscience education. Beginning in 2010, we now offer a specialization in Agricultural Leadership appropriate for professionals in a variety of agricultural and natural resource organizations.

  • What are the admission requirements?

    • Minimum requirements for direct admission to the program area 3.0 GPA in the final 60 hours of undergraduate coursework and a Graduate Record Exam (GRE) score. A score of 300 on the GRE will be most competitive for admission. Our department also requires three letters of recommendation and a Statement of Purpose. The Statement of Purpose is a letter written by the applicant to explain the reasons you would like to enter our graduate program.

  • Hows do I apply?

    • First, you should either have a current GRE score or be planning to take it soon. Begin gathering necessary paperwork like transcripts and recommendation letters. For a complete list, go to the Admissions page.

  • Who will be my academic advisor?

    • When you are admitted to the program you will be assigned an advisor. County extension agents will be assigned to one of the department’s extension faculty. Likewise, agriscience teachers will be assigned to one of the agricultural education faculty and leadership students will have leadership faculty as their advisor. You will be notified of your advisor in your acceptance letter. It is important that you contact your advisor soon after receiving notification of your acceptance.

  • Does this program require a thesis?

    • No, this is a non-thesis master degree program. You will take a written final exam that reflects the coursework contained within the program. You will also develop and submit a cumulative project. Students will work closely with their advisor on the development and approval of this project.

  • Will I need to travel to Gainesville?

    • Students of the e-Learning Institute are not required to travel to Gainesville, Florida at any time during their program for course-related activities. All courses are delivered via e-Learning and follow an asynchronous format (no set meeting time). All students will complete a web-based program orientation to familiarize themselves with the course format.

  • How long is each course?

    • Our courses follow the same academic calendar as on campus courses. Current calendars are available at the Registrar’s web page (

  • What are the computer requirements for this program?

    • Since courses in the program will be taught entirely on-line, having reliable internet service is critical. Students also must have reliable access to a computer system meeting  the UF requirements. The requirements may be found here. All courses will require access to Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint software programs.

  • How much does the program cost?

    • There is no out-of-state tuition for non-residents. Tuition is currently approximately $560 per credit hour. In most cases individuals completing the program will receive increases in salary that will recover the cost of the program within just a few years. Tuition costs are subject to change.

  • Can I use my University of Florida Employee Education Program (EEP) benefits for this program?

    • Yes, county extension faculty and other UF staff may apply the employee education benefit to courses contained within this program, with the exception of one required research course. Visit here for the appropriate terms.

  • I've been awarded a certificate of participation for supervising a student intern. Can I use it for this program?

    • Yes, the certificate covers the matriculation portion of tuition of up to six hours and is effective for three years. If you have received a Certificate of Participation and want the waiver applied you must turn in the signed original certificate to:
      University Financial Services
      S-113 Criser Hall, PO Box 114050
      Gainesville, FL 32611

  • Can I transfer in course I've previously taken?

    • A maximum of 9 credit hours of graduate courses from other accredited institutions with grades of A, B+, or B may be transferred into an M.S. program if approved by the Graduate School and the supervisory committee. Petitions for transfer of credit must be made during the first semester of enrollment in the graduate program.


Contact Us

To find out more about AEC e-Learning, contact us below.