News: UF Signs Cooperative Agreement with Gwang-ju National University
Pictured above, from left: Mr. Joomo Seo, Dr. Ed Osborne, Dr. Elaine Turner, Dr. Daechang Ju, Dr. Leonardo Villalón, Dr. Kirby Barrick and Dr. Susanne Hill
On February 25, 2015 representatives from Gwang-ju National University of Education (GNUE) in Gwang-ju, Republic of Korea met with UF International Center (UFIC), the College of Agricultural and Life Sciences (CALS) and the Department of Agricultural Education and Communication (AEC) to sign a Cooperative Agreement between UF and GNUE.. Dr. Daechang Ju, Dean of Planning for GNUE, represented President Jeongsong Lee for the signing with Dr. Leonardo Villalón, Dean of UFIC. Also attending were Mr. Joonmo Seo from the GNUE Office of Planning, CALS Dean Elaine Turner, AEC Department Chair Ed Osborne, UFIC Executive Director Susanne Hill, and AEC professor Kirby Barrick.
The agreement is an outgrowth of more than 30 years of association between Kirby Barrick and several Korean universities. In 2014, Barrick and two undergraduate AEC teacher education students visited GNUE for the first time as part of the global agriculture course and program. The summer 2014 Global-School Based Agricultural Education Korea Experience program, attended by students and teachers from Florida and Pennsylvania included seminars and teaching experiences at GNUE and a local school.
The cooperative agreement includes five potential collaborative efforts:
- Students from GNUE will enroll in an intensive English language program at UF for at least one summer program, organized by the UF English Language Institute.
- GNUE will host agricultural education teacher candidates and secondary school agriculture teachers from UF, Florida, and other U.S. institutions for student and faculty study programs.
- UF will host GNUE practical arts (Agricultural Education) faculty for sabbatical studies, not to exceed one per year.
- UF agricultural education faculty will provide professional development programs for GNUE practical arts faculty.
- UF and GNUE faculty will collaborate on research projects focused on enhancing student learning through improved teaching.
Pictured above, from left: Dr. Kirby Barrick, Dr. Daechang Ju and Dr. Leonardo Villalón sign the cooperative agreement between Gwang-ju National University of Education (GNUE) and the University of Florida.