Dr. Kirby Barrick
Professor of Agricultural Education and Communication
Kirby Barrick earned three degrees in Agricultural Education at Ohio State University. He taught vocational agriculture, served as Assistant State Supervisor for Agricultural Education, and joined the Ohio State faculty as an Assistant Professor in 1980. He has taught courses in teaching methods, data analysis, and experiential learning and was awarded the OSU Distinguished Teaching Award in 1988.
His research interests are in the area of teaching and learning. He has authored or co-authored more than 180 books, chapters, and refereed articles and papers and 140 invited papers, posters, monographs, and workshops, and served as principal investigator for more than $9.7 million in grants and contracts.
He is a Fellow in the AAAE, and he received the Outstanding Educator Award from NACTA. Barrick served as ACTE Agricultural Education Division President and as NACTA President. He chaired the Department of Agricultural Education at Ohio State for seven years and also headed OSU Extension Assistant Director for 4-H Youth Development. He was Associate Dean in the College of Agricultural, Consumer and Environmental Sciences at the University of Illinois before becoming Dean of the College of Agricultural and Life Sciences at the University of Florida in 2005, returning to the faculty in 2010 after 21 years in administration.
Barrick has been a Fulbright Specialist in Saudi Arabia and Korea and has conducted program and teaching development activities in Egypt, Korea, Haiti, Ghana, Saudi Arabia, and Turkey. He has presented more than 80 scholarly papers, articles, and workshops in international conferences and journals and led study abroad programs in the Dominican Republic, Egypt, and Korea.
Dr. Barrick’s teaching, research, and outreach program expertise is the improvement of student learning through enhancement of teaching. He teaches and conducts research and development activities for high school and university faculty in agriculture in the U.S. and abroad.
- Foster, D. D., Rice, L. L. S., Foster, M. M., & Barrick, R. K. (2014). Preparing agricultural educators for the world: Describing global competency in agricultural teacher candidates. Journal of Agricultural Education, 55(1), 51-64.
- Stripling, C. T., & Barrick, R. K. (2013). Examining the professional, technical, and general knowledge competencies needed by beginning school-based agricultural education teachers. Journal of Agricultural Education, 54(3), 67-83.
- Myers, B.E., Barrick, R.K., & Samy, M.M. (2012). Stages of concern profiles for active learning strategies of agricultural technical school teachers in Egypt. Journal of Agricultural Education and Extension, 18(2), 161-174.
- Coers, N., Rodriguez, M. T., Roberts, T. G., Emerson, H. C., & Barrick, R. K. (2012). Examining the student impacts of three international capstone experiences. NACTA Journal, 56(2), 55-62.
- Roberts, T. G., Barrick, R. K., Dooley, K. E., Kelsey, K. D., Raven, M. R., & Wingenbach, G. J. (2011). Enhancing the quality of manuscripts submitted to the Journal of Agricultural Education: perceptions of experienced reviewers. Journal of Agricultural Education, 52(3), 1-5.
- Barrick, R. K., Samy, M. M., Roberts, T. G., Thoron, A. C., & gEasterly, R. G., III. (2011). Assessment of Egyptian agricultural technical school instructors’ ability to implement experiential learning activities. Journal of Agricultural Education, 52(3), 6-15.
- Barrick, R.K., Rieger, M.W., & gEasterly, R.G. III. (2011). Assessment of graduate student productivity and satisfaction. NACTA Journal, 55(2), 54-60.
- Shoulders, C.W., Barrick, R.K., & Myers, B.E. (2011). An assessment of the impact of internship programs in the agricultural technical schools of Egypt as perceived by participant groups. Journal of International Agricultural and Extension Education, 18(2), 18-29.
- Rieger, M., Turner, R.E., & Barrick, R.K. (2011). Student evaluation scores for courses delivered by interactive conferencing. NACTA Journal, 55(1), 16-20.
- Barrick, R. K., Roberts, T. G., Samy, M. M., Thoron, A. C., & gEasterly, R. G., III. (2011). A needs assessment to determine knowledge and ability of Egyptian agricultural technical school teachers related to supervised agricultural experience programs. Journal of Agricultural Education, 52(2), 1-11.
- NAAE Outstanding Service Citation, 2013
- FAAE Outstanding Service Citation, 2013
- UF 150th Anniversary Morrill Act Faculty Award, 2012
- Fulbright Specialist, 2009 – 2013
- Distinguished Lecturer, AAAE, 2011
- Hall of Fame, Alpha Gamma Rho Fraternity, 2010
- Jack Everly Outstanding Article Award, NACTA Journal, 2007 (with R. Clark and L. Blaschek)
- Distinguished Alumni Award, OSU College of Food, Agricultural, and Environmental Sciences, 2005
- Russell Guin Outstanding Agricultural Educator, American Association for Agricultural Education, 2004
- E. B. Knight Award, NACTA Journal, 2003 (with S. Schmidt, P. Buriak, C. D’Arcy, J. B. Litchfield and J. Javenkoski)
- NACTA Distinguished Educator Award, 2001
- Outstanding Service Award, American Vocational Association, 1997
- Fellow, American Association for Agricultural Education, 1996