Dr. John Diaz
Assistant Professor and Extension Specialist
Dr. John Diaz is an assistant professor of extension education in the Department of Agricultural Education and Communication at the University of Florida. He focuses on program evaluation, behavior change, social marketing and local resilience. Dr. Diaz has a split assignment with responsibilities in research, extension and teaching.
Dr. Diaz’s research focuses on understanding the factors that influence behavior change and practice adoption among various stakeholder groups in extension activities related to local food systems, nutrition and wellness, natural resource management, conservation and community capacity building. As interdisciplinary scholar, he earned two bachelor’s degrees, a master’s degree and doctorate from North Carolina State University.
Dr. Diaz’s extension program supports the mission of the University of Florida by developing strategies for creating and measuring impacts of Extension programs through program planning and evaluation. Extension programming focuses on enhancing the program development and evaluation competencies of extension and outreach professionals across a breadth of program areas.
Dr. Diaz’s teaches course program development and evaluation. He also serves as an advisor for the undergraduate Extension internship program and plays an important role in coordinating the Extension minor between the Gainesville and Plant City Campus.
- Diaz, J., Bardon, R., Hazel, D., Bruce, J., & Jayaratne, K.S.U. (In Press). The Role of Extension in the Coordination of Working Partnerships among Diverse Stakeholder Groups for the Sustainability of Rural Landscapes. Journal of Human Sciences and Extension.
- Diaz, J., Bardon, R., Hazel, D., Bruce, J., & Jayaratne, K.S.U. (2017). Lessons Learned for Military-Based Partnerships for Landscape-Scale Conservation: A Case Study of the North Carolina Sentinel Landscapes Partnership. Journal of Community Engagement and Scholarship 10(1), 6-19.
- Velez A., Diaz J., Wall T. (2017) Public information seeking, place-based risk messaging and wildfire preparedness in southern California. International Journal of Wildland Fire 26, 469-477. https://doi.org/10.1071/WF16219
- Diaz, J., Evans, J., Jayaratne, K.S.U., and Bruce, J. (2017). A Framework for the Evaluation of Large-Scale Regional Conservation and Management Strategies. Journal of Extension.
- Diaz, J., Elsberry, E. (2017). Important Resources for the Development and Sustainability of School Garden Programs. Gainesville: University of Florida Institute of Food and Agricultural Sciences. Available online at http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/pdffiles/WC/WC28300.pdf
- Diaz, J., Webb, S., Elsberry, E. (2017). Developing County Associations for School and Community Gardens. Gainesville: University of Florida Institute of Food and Agricultural Sciences. Available online at http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/wc279
- Diaz, J. (2017). Effective Practice for Building Cross Sector Partnerships. Gainesville: University of Florida Institute of Food and Agricultural Sciences. Available online at http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/wc271
- Diaz, J., Addor, M., Moore, S., Bardon, B., & Hazel, D. (2016). Establishing a Partnership for Sentinel Landscapes: The North Carolina Experience. NC State Extension. Available online at https://content.ces.ncsu.edu/establishing-a-partnership-for-sentinel-landscapes.
- Diaz J.M., Stalling, K., Birendra, K.C., & Seekamp, E. (2015). Evaluating Multi-Institutional Partnership Sustainability: A Case Study of Collaborative Workforce Development in Renewable Energy Assessment. Journal of Educational Research and Evaluation, 21(5-6): 466-484.
- Diaz J.M., Steelman, T., & Nowell, B. (2015). Local Ecological Knowledge and Fire Management: What Does the Public Understand? Journal of Forestry, 114(1): pp. 58-65.
- Diaz J.M., K.S.U. Jayarante, R.E. Bardon, & D. Hazel. (2014). A Framework for Integrating and Managing Expectations of Multiple Stakeholder Groups in a Collaborative Partnership. Journal of Extension, 52(3). Available online at http://www.joe.org/joe/2014june/iw6.php.
- Wall, T. U., Knox-Velez, A.L. & Diaz, J. (2014). Wildfire Readiness in the Southern California Wildland-Urban Interface: understanding wildfire preparedness and evacuation readiness among residents in Southern California’s wildland-urban interface. Research report produced by the Desert Research Institute. Available online at: http://www.dri.edu/publications/dripublications.
- Diaz, J.M. (2012). Economic Impacts of Wildfire. Southern Fire Exchange Resource Center, Available online at http://www.southernfireexchange.org/SFE_Publications/factsheets/2012-7.pdf
- Diaz, J.M. (2012). Effects of Prescribed Fire and Wildfire: Frequently Asked Questions from North Carolina. Southern Fire Exchange Resource Center, Available online at http://www.southernfireexchange.org/SFE_Publications/factsheets/2012-5.pdf
- Diaz, J.M. (2012). Effects of Prescribed Fire and Wildfire: Frequently Asked Questions from Florida. Southern Fire Exchange Resource Center, http://www.southernfireexchange.org/SFE_Publications/factsheets/2012-6.pdf
- Diaz, J.M. (2012). Health Effects of Wildland Fire Smoke. Southern Fire Exchange Resource Center, Available online at http://www.southernfireexchange.org/SFE_Publications/factsheets/2012-8.pdf