Dr. Hannah Carter
Associate Professor of Agricultural Education and Communication, Director of Wedgworth Leadership Institute
Dr. Carter was born in raised in Maine and came to Florida with work experience in Maine’s Cooperative Extension Service. Dr. Carter was a graduate student in the first class of doctoral students in the Department of Agricultural Education and Communication. While working on her doctorate in agricultural leadership, she also worked as the program coordinator for the Florida Leadership Program which was renamed the Wedgworth Leadership Institute for Agriculture and Natural Resources.
After graduating with her PhD in August of 2004, she became a faculty member in the department. Within this appointment, she is the Director of the Wedgworth Leadership Institute. In addition, she teaches undergraduate and graduate courses in leadership development and continues her research on leadership programming. She also conducts leadership workshops and presentation throughout Florida, and the nation, for various organizations and industries.
- Ricketts, K. G., Carter, H. S., Place, N. T., & McCoy, T. (October, 2012). A look inside: Self-leadership perceptions of extension educators. Journal of Extension, 50(5). http://www.joe.org/joe/2012october/a3.php
- Esteep, C. M.*, Roberts, T. G., & Carter, H. S. (2012). An experiential learning model of faculty development to improve teaching. NACTA Journal, 56(1), 79-86. http://www.nactateachers.org/vol-56-num-1-mar2012/1928-an-experiential-learning-model-of-faculty-development-to-improve-teaching.html
- Kaufman, E. K., Rateau, R. J., Carter, H. S., & Strickland, L. S., (Winter, 2011). What’s context got to do with it? An exploration of leadership development programs for the agricultural community. Journal of Leadership Education, 11(1), 121-139. http://goo.gl/YK2KM
- Strong, R. L., Harder, A., & Carter, H. S. (2010). Teaching strategies used by extension agents for a beef producer course. Journal of Extension.
- Benge, M. P.*, Harder, A., & Carter, H. S., (2011). Necessary pre-entry competencies as perceived by Florida Extension agents. Journal of Extension, 49(5). http://www.joe.org/joe/2011october/a2.php
- Chiarelli, C. W.*, Stedman, N. L., Carter, H. S., & Telg, R. (2010). The impact of organizational source credibility and the factors that contribute to opinion leaders’ decisions to diffuse information. Journal of Southern Agricultural Education Reseach, 60. http://www.jsaer.org/pdf/Vol60/2010-60-009.pdf
- Kaufman, E., Carter, H., Rudd, R., & Moore, D. (2009). Leadership development for local volunteers: A case study of andragogy in practice. International Journal of Volunteer Administration, XXVI(3). http://www.ijova.org/CurrentIssue/index.htm
- Johnson, S. B., Carter, H. S., & Kaufman, E. K. (2008). Learning styles of farmers and others involved in the Maine potato industry. Journal of Extension, 46(4). http://www.joe.org/joe/2008august/rb7.shtml
- Carter, H. S., & Rudd, R. D. (2007). Leadership expectations of county Farm Bureau board members. Journal of Southern Agricultural Education 56(1), 163-181.
- Outstanding Leadership Program Director. Presented by the International Association of Programs for Agricultural Leadership, October 2012
- Friend of the Industry Award. Presented by the Florida Nursery Growers and Landscapers Association, June 2012.
- Mary Merrill Memorial Award for Outstanding Feature Article in The International Journal of Volunteer Administration
- Outstanding Graduate Student Poster - 2nd Runner-Up. Presented at the Southern Region Conference of the American Association for Agricultural Education, February 2010
- Outstanding Leadership Program Award. Presented at the Association for Leadership Educators Conference, July 2007.
- Outstanding Research Presentation Award – 2nd Place Graduate Division. Presented at the Southern Region Conference of the American Association for Agricultural Education, February 2006.