Dr. Alexa Lamm
Associate Professor, Associate Director of Center for Public Issues Education
Dr. Alexa Lamm is an associate professor in the Department of Agricultural Education and Communication (AEC), and serves as the associate director of the Center for Public Issues Education (PIE Center). Additionally, Lamm is an affiliate faculty member of the UF Water Institute, Florida Climate Institute, and the School of Natural Resources and Environment, while serving on the advisory board for the Bob Graham Center for Public Service.
Originally from Walnut Creek, CA, Lamm is a two-time alumna of Colorado State University, where she earned her Bachelor of Science majoring in animal science (1999), and her Master of Agriculture in extension education (2000). She served as an extension agent in Colorado for eight years before completing her doctorate at the University of Florida in program development and evaluation.
Currently, Lamm focuses her research on how people make decisions about agriculture and natural resources issues. More specifically, she concentrates on the role opinion plays into the decision-making process, the effects of individual cognition in group consensus, and non-formal education affecting decisions.
As part of her extension appointment, Lamm serves on the extension leadership team focused on enhancing and protecting water quality, quantity, and supply. She assists in developing public awareness of water issues and enhanced community decision-making. Lamm is certified in several personality, problem solving and critical thinking assessments including the MBTI, KAI, True Colors and UFCTI. She offers team building and leadership workshops to assist groups increase effectiveness, build trust and provide leadership within their organizations and communities.
- Lamm, A. J., Carter, H., Settle, Q., & Odera, E. (2016). The influence of problem solving style on team dynamics when building consensus. Journal of Human Sciences and Extension, 4(1), 18-33. Retrieved from http://www.jhseonline.com/#!current-issue-1/yg31h
- Gay, K. D., Leal, A., Ruth, T. K., Lamm, A. J., & Rumble, J. N. (2015). Comparing the use of visual analogue scales and likert scales in international agricultural and extension education surveys. Journal of International Agriculture and Extension Education, 22(2). doi: 10.5191/jiaee.2015.22203
- Gay, K., Terry, B., & Lamm, A. J. (2015). Identifying critical thinking style to enhance volunteer development. Journal of Extension, 53(6). Retrieved fromhttp://www.joe.org/joe/2015december/tt2.php
- Holt, J., Rumble, J. N., Telg, R. & Lamm, A. J. (2015). The message or the channel: An experimental design of consumers’ perceptions of a local food message and the media channel used to deliver the information. Journal of Applied Communication, 99(4), 6 – 19. Retrieved from http://journalofapplied communications.org /images/ stories/issues/2015/jac_v99_n4_article1.pdf
- Huang, P., & Lamm, A. J. (2015). Impact of experience and participation in Extension programming on perceptions of water quality issues. Journal of International Agricultural and Extension Education, 22(3).Doi:10.5191/jiaee.2015.22303
- Huang, P., & Lamm, A. J. (2015). Understanding public engagement in water conservation behaviors and knowledge of water policy: Promising hints for Extension. Journal of Extension, 53(6). Retrieved from http://www.joe.org/joe/2015december/rb1.php
- Lamm, K. W., Lamm, A. J., & Carter, H. (2015). Bridging water issue knowledge gaps between the general public and opinion leaders. Journal of Agricultural Education, 56(3), 146-161. DOI: 10.5032/jae.2015.03146
- Leal, A., Rumble, J., & Lamm, A. J. (2015). Setting the agenda: Exploring Floridian's perceptions of water quality and quantity issues. Journal of Applied Communications, 99(3), 53-67. Retrieved from http://journalofappliedcommunications.org/images/stories
- Odera, E., Lamm, A. J., Odera, L. C., Duryea, M., & Davis, J. (2015). Understanding how research experiences foster undergraduate research skill development and influence STEM career choice. NACTA Journal, 59(3). Retrieved from http://www.nactateachers.org/component/attachments/download/2299.html
- Rodriguez, M. T., Lamm, A. J., Odera, E., Owens, C. T., & Thompson, S. (2015). Evaluating impacts of school-based Extension garden programs from a child’s perspective. Journal of Extension, 53(1). Retrieved from http://www.joe.org/joe/2015february/rb4.php
- Warner, L. A., Rumble, J. N., Martin, E., Lamm, A. J., & Cantrell, R. A. (2015). The effect of strategic message selection on residents’ intent to conserve water in the landscape. Journal of Agricultural Education, 56(3). 59-74. Doi: 10.5032/jae.2015.04059.
- Blackburn, J., Robinson, S., & Lamm, A. J. (2014). How cognitive style and problem complexity affect preservice agricultural education teachers' abilities to solve problems in agricultural mechanics. Journal of Agricultural Education, 55(4), 133-147. Doi: 10.5032/jae.2014.04133.
- Gorham, L., Lamm, A. J., & Rumble, J. (2014). The critical target audience: Communicating water conservation behaviors to critical thinking styles. Journal of Applied Communications, 98(4), 42-55.
- Lamm, K. W., Lamm, A. J., & Carter, H. S. (2014). Opinion leadership development: Context and audience characteristics count. Journal of Agricultural Education, 55(2), 91-105. Doi: 10.5032/jae.2014.02091.
- Lamm, A. J., Lamm, K. W., & Strickland, L. R. (2013). Focusing on the future: Understanding faculty intent to lead the land grant system. Journal of Agricultural Education, 54(4), 92-103.
- Lamm, A. J., Roberts, T. G., Harder, A., Stedman, N., & Hartmann, M. (2013). Identifying best practices for engaging faculty in international agricultural education experiences. Journal of Human Science and Extension, 1(2), 16-31.
- Odera, E., Lamm, A. J., Owens, C., Thompson, S., & Carter, L. (2013). The impact of extension gardening programs on healthy attitudes and behaviors. Journal of Human Science and Extension, 1(2), 47-62.
- Lamm, A. J., & Israel, G. D. (2013). A national examination of extension professionals’ use of evaluation: Does intended use improve effort? Journal of Human Sciences and Extension, 1(1), 49-62. Retrieved from http://www.jhseonline.com/#%21current/cjg9
- Lamm, A. J., Israel, G. D., & Diehl, D. (2013). A national perspective on the current evaluation activities in Extension. Journal of Extension, 51(1). Retrieved from http://www.joe.org/joe/2013february/a1.php
- Israel, G. D., & Lamm, A. J. (2012). Item nonresponse in a client survey of the general public. Survey Practice, April. Retrieved from www.surveypractice.org
Recent Awards & Honors
- 2016 Distinguished Research Paper, American Association for Agricultural Education, Southern Region
- 2014 Vance Publishing 40 Under 40 in Ag Honoree
- 2014 Wells Fargo Extension Professorship
- 2014 Two Distinguished Research Papers, American Association for Agricultural Education
- 2014 Research Paper of the Year, Association for Communication Excellence
- 2013 Feature Article of the Year, Journal of Extension
- 2013 Extension Initiative Innovation Team Award
- 2012 University of Florida IFAS “High Impact” Research Publication