121D Bryant Hall
Gainesville, FL 32611
Joy Rumble is an Assistant Professor of Agricultural Communication within the Department of Agricultural Education and Communication. She focuses her efforts in the Center for Public Issues Education in Agriculture and Natural Resources (PIE Center) where she conducts research and outreach initiatives around effective communication in agriculture. Her research concentrates on consumer perceptions of agriculture and has included studies examining perceptions of local food, food safety, GMOs, livestock legislation, and transparent communication in the livestock industry.
Joy graduated from the University of Florida in May 2013 with her Ph.D. Prior to attending the University of Florida, Joy obtained her MS in Agricultural Communication and a BS in Animal Science from The Ohio State University.
Originally from Ohio, Joy raised livestock while growing up and worked on two large hog operations as an intern during her undergraduate studies. She also served as a summer intern for the USDA Farm Service Agency.
Joy enjoys camping, sewing, hiking, watching baseball, and gardening.
- University of Florida, Ph.D., Agricultural Education, 2013
- The Ohio State University, MS, Agricultural Communication, 2010
- The Ohio State University, BS, Animal Science, 2007
- The Ohio State University, AS, Livestock Science, 2006
- Consumer perceptions of agriculture
- Effective communication
- Message testing
- Transparent communication
- Attitude formation
- Gorham, L. M., Lamm, A. J., & Rumble, J. N. (Accepted). The critical target audience: Communicating water conservation behaviors to critical thinking styles. Journal of Applied Communications.
- Rumble, J. N., Chiarelli, C., Culbertson, A., & Irani, T. A. (2014). A picture is worth a thousand words: Consumer perceptions of agricultural images. Journal of Human Sciences and Extension, 2(2), 47-64.
- Rumble, J. N., Holt, J., & Irani, T. A. (2014). The power of words: Exploring consumers' perceptions of words commonly associated with agriculture. Journal of Applied Communications, 98(2), 23-36.
- Rumble, J. N., Davis, A., & Telg, R. W. (2014). Communication audits: Adding value and social impact to agricultural communications. Journal of Applied Communications, 98(1), 8-16.
- Rumble, J. N., & Buck, E. B. (2013). Narrowing the farm-to-plate knowledge gap through semiotics and the study of consumer responses regarding livestock images. Journal of Applied Communications, 97(3), 57-70.
- Goodwin, J. N., & Shoulders, C. W. (2013). The future of meat: A qualitative analysis of cultured meat media coverage. Meat Science, 95(3), 445-450.
- Goodwin, J. N., & Gouldthorpe, J. L. (2013). "Small" farmers, big challenges: A needs assessment of Florida small-scale farmers' production challenges and training needs. Journal of Rural Social Sciences, 28(1), 54-79.
Awards & Honors
- 2014, Article of the year, Journal of Applied Communication
- 2014, Runner-up Kahler Dissertation Award, American Association for Agricultural Education
- 2014, 1st Place Research Paper, Southern Association of Agricultural Scientists, Agricultural Communications Section
- 2013, Runner-up outstanding research poster, Southern Association of Agricultural Scientists, Agricultural Communications Section
- 2012, Outstanding research paper award, Association of Communication Excellence
- 2012, 1st Place student research poster, American Association for Agricultural Education, Southern Region
- 2012, Outstanding professional paper, Southern Association of Agricultural Scientists, Agricultural Communications Section
- 2012, Outstanding student paper award, Southern Rural Sociological Association
- 2010, Outstanding research proposal, Association of Communication Excellence
Membership in Professional Organizations
- Association of Communication Excellence
- American Association for Agricultural Education
- Southern Association of Agricultural Scientists, Agricultural Communications Section