307C Rolfs Hall, PO Box 110540
Gainesville, FL 32611
Andrew Thoron is an assistant professor of agricultural education in the AEC Department. Andrew grew up in central Illinois and taught high school agriscience at Mt. Pulaski High School in Illinois. He then took on a state leadership role with the Illinois State Board of Education for agricultural education where his primarily responsibility was to aid agriscience teachers, administrators, and community members in developing and maintaining agricultural education programs. Dr. Thoron continues his assistance of teachers through his extension appointment that assists with the professional development needs of the Florida agriscience teachers. Dr. Thoron also coordinates the teaching certification for the department. His research expertise is in the area of teaching and learning with interests in inquiry-based instruction and student achievement, scientific reasoning, and argumentation skill development.
- Ph.D. – University of Florida, Agricultural Education, May 2010
- M.S. – University of Florida, Agricultural Education, Dec. 2007
- B.S. – Illinois State University; Normal, Illinois, Major: Agriculture; Sequence: Agricultural Education, May 2002
- A.S. – Lincoln Land Community College; Springfield, Illinois, Major: Agriculture, May 2000
- Teaching, learning, & assessment
- Scientific reasoning & argumentation skills
- Thoron, A.C., & Myers, B.E. (In press). Effects of inquiry-based agriscience instruction and subject matter-based instruction on student scientific reasoning. Manuscript accepted in the Journal of Agricultural Education.
- Thoron, A.C., & Myers B.E. (2012). Effects of inquiry-based agriscience instruction and subject matter-based instruction on student argumentation skills. Journal of Agricultural Education, 53(2), 58-69. doi:10.5032/jae.2012.02058
- Thoron, A.C., Myers, B.E., Harder, A., Stedman, N., & Roberts, T.G. (2012). An analysis of teaching competencies of junior faculty with different levels of graduate teaching assistant experiences. Journal of Natural Resources & Life Sciences Education, 41(1), 1-6. doi:10.4195/jnrlse.2011.0011g
- Barrick, R.K., Samy, M.M., Roberts, T.G., Thoron, A.C., & Easterly, R.G. III (2011). A needs assessment to determine knowledge and ability of Egyptian agricultural technical school teachers related to supervised agricultural experience. Journal of Agricultural Education, 52(2), 1-11. doi:10.5032/jae.2011.02001
- Thoron, A.C., Myers, B.E., & Abrams, K. (2011). Inquiry-based instruction: How is it utilized, accepted, and assessed in schools with National Agriscience Teacher Ambassadors? Journal of Agricultural Education, 52(1), 96-106. doi:10.5032/jae.2011.01096
- Thoron, A.C., & Myers, B.E., (2011). Impact of gender, ethnicity, year in school, social economic status, and state standardized assessment scores on student content knowledge achievement when using vee maps as a formative assessment tool. Journal of Agricultural Education, 52(1), 85-95. doi:10.5032/jae.2011.01085
- Stedman, N.L.P., Roberts, T.G., Harder, A., Myers, B.E., & Thoron, A.C. (2011). The relationship between experience and self-perceptions of knowledge and relevance of teaching competencies for faculty in a college of agricultural and life sciences. Journal of Agricultural Education 52(1), 50-60. doi:10.5032/jae.2011.01050
- Thoron, A.C., & Myers, B.E. (2010). The effect of using vee maps versus standard laboratory reports on achieving student content knowledge. Journal of Agricultural Education, 51(3), 12-22. doi:10.5032/jae.2010.03012 *Awarded Journal Article of the Year in JAE
- Thoron, A.C., & Myers, B.E. (2010). Perceptions of preservice teachers toward integrating science into school¬–based agricultural education curriculum. Journal of Agricultural Education, 51(2), 70-80. doi: 10.5032/jae.2010.02070
- Thoron, A.C., Barrick, R.K., Roberts, T.G., Gunderson, M.A., & Samy, M.M. (2010). Preparing for, conducting and evaluating workshops for agricultural technical school instructors in Egypt. Journal of Agricultural Education, 51(1), 75-87. doi: 10.5032/jae.2010.01075
- Harder, A., Roberts, T.G., Stedman, N.L.P., Thoron, A., & Myers, B.E. (2009). An analysis of the teaching competencies of agricultural and life sciences faculty. NACTA Journal, 53(4), 49-55.
- Barrick, R.K., Samy, M.M., Gunderson, M.A., & Thoron, A.C. (2009). A model for developing a well-prepared agricultural workforce in an international setting. Journal of International Agricultural and Extension Education, 16(3), 25-31.
- Myers, B.E., Thoron, A.C., & Thompson, G.W. (2009). Perceptions of the National Agriscience Teacher Ambassador Academy toward integrating science into school–based agricultural education curriculum. Journal of Agricultural Education, 50(4), 120-133. doi: 10.5032/jae.2009.04120
- Roberts, T.G., Thoron, A.C., Barrick, R.K., & Samy, M.M. (2008). Lessons learned from conducting workshops with university agricultural faculty and secondary school agricultural teachers in Egypt. Journal of International Agricultural and Extension Education, 15(1), 85-88.
- Baker, A.J., Thoron, A.C., Myers, B.E., & Cody, T.J. (2008). The influence of laboratory experience timing on student knowledge–level achievement in an undergraduate introductory agricultural mechanics course. NACTA Journal, 52(1), 6-9.
Awards & Honors
- Journal of Agricultural Education Author of the Year, 2011 & 2012
- Seven Outstanding Research Paper/Poster Presentations – AAAE
- Dr. Jimmy G. Cheek Graduate Student Medal of Excellence, University of FL – 2010
- Graduate Student Teaching Award, NACTA, 2009
- Teachers Turn the Key Award Winner (NAAE) – 2004
- Selected as a Who’s Who Among America’s Teachers 2003, 2004, & 2005
- AEC 4504 – Curriculum & Program Planning for Agricultural Education
- AEC 4224 – Special Methods in Teaching Agricultural Education
- AEC 4228 – Laboratory Practices in Teaching Agricultural Education
- AEC 4942 – Agricultural Education Internship
- AEC 5301 – Professional Skill Development in Agriscience Education
- AEC 6325 – History & Philosophy of Agricultural Education
- AEC 6543 – Teaching & Learning Theory: Applications in Agricultural Education
Membership in Professional Organizations
- Alpha Tau Alpha
- Alpha Zeta
- American Association for Agricultural Education
- Association for International Agricultural Education and Extension Education
- Association for Career and Technical Education
- Florida Association of Agricultural Educators
- Florida Association for Career and Technical Education
- National Association of Agriculture Educators
- North American Colleges and Teachers of Agriculture