Current Research Projects
The members of the AG-STEM learning lab are currently developing and implementing a multi-level research project to identify key Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math concepts that are being taught in agriculture classes at both the secondary and post-secondary levels. The project also hopes to ascertain how those concepts are being taught.
Past Research Projects
- Blythe, J.M., DiBenedetto, C.A. and Myers, B.E. (2015). Inquiry-based instruction: Perceptions of National Agriscience Teacher Ambassadors. Journal of Agricultural Education, 56(2), 110-121. doi: 10.5032/jae.2015.02110 http://www.jae-online.org/vol-56-no-2-2015/1903-inquiry-based-instruction-perceptions-of-national-agriscience-teacher-ambassadors.html
- Stubbs, E.A., and Myers, B.E. (2015). Multiple case study of STEM in school-based agricultural education. Journal of Agricultural Education, 56(2), 188-203. doi: 10.5032/jae.2015.02188 http://www.jae-online.org/vol-56-no-2-2015/1908-multiple-case-study-of-stem-in-school-based-agricultural-education.html
- DiBenedetto, C.A., Easterly III, R.G., & Myers, B.E. (2015). Can scientific reasoning scores predict the likelihood of SBAE students' intent to pursue a STEM career, a career in agriculture, or plan to attend college?. Journal of Agricultural Education. 56(1), 103-115. doi: 10.5032/jae.2015.01103 http://www.jae-online.org/vol-56-no-1-2015/1889-can-scientific-reasoning-scores-predict-the-likelihood-of-sbae-students-intent-to-pursue-a-stem-career-a-career-in-agriculture-or-plan-to-attend-college.html
- Barrick, R. K., Myers, B. E., & Samy, M. M. (2015). Adoption of innovative teaching strategies in active learning and experiential learning by Egyptian agricultural technical school instructors. Journal of Agricultural Extension and Rural Development, 7(2), 48-55. doi: 10.5897/JAERD2013.0680. http://www.academicjournals.org/journal/
- Stofer, K. (2015). Informal, Non(-)formal, or Free-choice Education and Learning? Toward a Common Terminology for Agriscience and Ag-STEM Educators. Journal of Human Sciences and Extension. 3, 1. 125-134. http://www.jhseonline.com/#!current-issue/c1bb7
- Stofer, K. A. (2015). Finding the Food: Connecting to Agriculture in Science Centers to Support Feeding a Growing Population.Science Education and Civic Engagement: An International Journal. Summer 2015. http://seceij.net/seceij/summer15/connecting_agri.html
- Wilcox, A. K., Shoulders, C. W., & Myers, B. E. (2014). Encouraging teacher change within the realities of school-based agricultural education: Lessons from teachers' initial use of socioscientific issues-based instruction. Journal of Agricultural Education, 55(5), 16-29. doi: 10.5032/jae.2014.05015. http://www.jae-online.org/vol-55-no-5-2014/1861-encouraging-teacher-change-within-the-realities-of-school-based-agricultural-education-lessons-from-teachers-initial-use-of-socioscientific-issues-based-instruction.html
- Shoulders, C. W., & Myers, B. E. (2014). Effective professional development in agriscience education: An examination of core features. Journal of Agricultural Education, 55(1), 167-185. doi: 10.5032/jae.2014.01168. http://www.jae-online.org/vol-55-no-1-2014/1808-effective-professional-development-in-agriscience-education-an-examination-of-core-features.html
- Phillips, B.K., & Myers, B.E. (2013) Response-Shift Bias in Crisitcal Thinking. NACTA Journal, 57(1). 78-81.
- Burleson, S.E., & Myers, B.E. (2013) Actual Versus Preferred Laboratory Classroom Practices: An Evaluation of the Effectiveness of Laboratory Classroom Teaching at the Post-Secondary Level. NACTA Journal, 57(1). 16-23.
- Shoulders, C. W., & Myers, B. E. (2013). Teachers' use of experiential learning stages in agricultural laboratories. Journal of Agricultural Education, 54(3), 100-115. doi: 10.5032/jae.2013.03100.http://www.jae-online.org/vol-54-no-3-2013/1761-teachers-use-of-experiential-learning-stages-in-agricultural-laboratories.html
- Shoulders, C. W., & Myers, B. E. (2013). Socioscientific issues-based instruction: An investigation of agriscience students' content knowledge based on student variables. Journal of Agricultural Education, 54(3), 140-156. doi: 10.5032/jae.2013.03140. http://www.jae-online.org/vol-54-no-3-2013/1764-socioscientific-issues-based-instruction-an-investigation-of-agriscience-students-content-knowledge-based-on-student-variables.html
- Shoulders, C. W., Blythe, J. M., & Myers, B. E. (2013). Teachers' perceptions regarding experiential learning attributes in agricultural laboratories. Journal of Agricultural Education, 54(2), 159-173. doi: 10.5032/jae.2013.02159.http://www.jae-online.org/vol-54-no-2-2013/1745-teachers-perceptions-regarding-experiential-learning-attributes-in-agricultural-laboratories.html
- Warner, A. J., & Myers, B. E. (2013). Variable relationships affecting agriscience teachers' stages of concern for content area reading strategies. Journal of Agricultural Education, 54(1), 193-206. doi: 10.5032/jae.2013.01193.http://www.jae-online.org/vol-54-no-1-2013/1730-variable-relationships-affecting-agriscience-teachers-stages-of-concern-for-content-area-reading-strategies.html
- Thoron, A.C., & Myers, B.E. (2012). Effects of Inquiry-based Agriscience Instruction on Student Scientific Reasoning. Journal of Agricultural Education, 53 (4), 156-170. doi: 10.5032/jae. 2012.04156
- Thoron, A.C., & Myers, B.E. (2012) Effects of Inquiry-based Agriscience instruction and Subject Matter-based Instruction on Student Argumentation Skills. Journal of Agricultural Education, 53(2), 58-69. doi: 10.5032/jae.2012.02058
- Shoulders, C.W., & Myers, B.E. (2012). Teachers' Use of Agricultural Laboratories in Secondary Agricultural Education. Journal of Agricultural Education. 53(2), 124-128. doi: 10.5032/jae.2012.02124
- Thoron, A.C., & Myers, B.E., (2011). Impact of gender, ethnicity, year in school, social economic status, and state standardized assessment scores on student content knowledge achievement when using vee maps as a formative assessment tool. Journal of Agricultural Education, , 52(1), 85-95. doi:10.5032/jae.2011.01085
- Shoulders, C. W., & Myers, B. E. (2011). An Analysis of National Agriscience Teacher Ambassadors’ Stages of Concern Regarding Inquiry-Based Instruction. Journal of Agricultural Education, 52(2), 58-70. doi: 10.5032/jae.2011.02058
- Thoron, A.C., & Myers, B.E. (2011). Effects of inquiry-based Agriscience Instruction on Student Achievement. Journal of Agricultural Education. 52(4), 175-187. doi: 10.5032/jae.2011.04175.
- Thoron, A. C., & Myers, B. E. (2010). Perceptions of preservice teachers toward integrating science into school¬–based agricultural education curriculum. Journal of Agricultural Education, 51(2), 70-80. DOI: 10. 5032/jae.2010.02070
- Thoron, A.C., & Myers, B.E. (2010). The effect of using vee maps versus standard laboratory reports on achieving student content knowledge. Journal of Agricultural Education, 51(3), 12-22. doi:10.5032/jae.2010.03012 *Awarded Journal Article of the Year in JAE