The Department of Agricultural Education and Communication
The University of Florida’s Department of Agricultural Education and Communication (AEC) is among the country’s best in developing leaders, educators, and communicators to meet society’s challenges in agricultural and life sciences.
The department provides students with the tools and resources needed for success. In addition, AEC supports UF’s Florida Cooperative Extension’s efforts and the Institute of Food and Agricultural Sciences’ varied academic and research programs, including the Teaching Resource Center, the Wedgworth Leadership Institute and the Program Development and Evaluation Center.
Our Vision: To be distinguished by our impact on practice, value to stakeholders, scholarly contributions to the discipline, and leadership in the profession.
Our Mission: To serve society by advancing individuals and organizations in agriculture and natural resources through research and evidence-based practice in education, communication, and leadership.
The College of Agricultural and Life Sciences
The College of Agricultural and Life Sciences (CALS) administers the degree programs of the University of Florida’s Institute of Food and Agricultural Sciences (UF/IFAS). With 24 undergraduate majors, more than 50 areas of specialization and 20 graduate programs, CALS is an educational leader in the areas of food, agriculture, natural resources and life sciences.
Mission and Values
The mission of the College of Agricultural and Life Sciences is to provide undergraduate and graduate students with a high quality education that results in knowledge and abilities for gainful employment and additional education, productive citizenship, and lifelong learning in the areas of food, agriculture, natural resources, and life sciences as they relate to human resources, the environment, individual communities, and a global society. To achieve excellence, the College of Agricultural and Life Sciences promotes these core values:
- Respect, honesty, integrity, fairness and cooperation
- Academic excellence and scientific inquiry
- Diversity of people and ideas
- Programs that are responsive to the needs of students, Florida and the world
- Global awareness and understanding
- Opportunities for student growth, development, and career success
- Quality teaching and advising
- Education as a lifelong process
- Partnerships with faculty, students, staff and stakeholders
- The role of the College in fulfilling the IFAS mission
Institute of Food and Agricultural Sciences
The University of Florida’s Institute of Food and Agricultural Sciences (UF/IFAS) is a federal-state-county partnership dedicated to developing knowledge in agriculture, human and natural resources, and the life sciences, and enhancing and sustaining the quality of human life by making that information accessible. While extending into every community of the state, UF/IFAS has developed an international reputation for its accomplishments in teaching, research and extension. Because of this mission and the diversity of Florida’s climate and agricultural commodities, IFAS has facilities located throughout Florida.
AEC Featured News
- Student Teaching Internship
- AIAEE and AAAE 2015
- Graduate Students Visit D.C.
- ONE WORLD
- Cooperative Agreement
- SAAS 2015
- 2015 ACT Professional Development Conference
- Lamm Named 40 Under 40 in Agriculture Honoree
- Ag Institute/Farm Credit Candidates Forum
- Research: Emotionally Engaged Thinking
- 2014 Agricultural Media Summit
- 2014 NACTA Conference
- AIARD Future Leaders Forum
- 2014 CALS Awards Banquet
- AEC Members Give TEDxUF Talk
- AEC Students Serve as National FFA Officers